Page 6: Adding Point Functions
- Develop powerful applications around GPS, without programming.
- Capture 20 GPS outputs in accordance with NMEA standards.
- UTM Easting, Northing and Zone based on WGS-84 global standard.
- Configuration set up options for various GPS enabled smartphones, tablets and other devices.
- GPS connection options, data can be saved, and points drawn on maps imported to Mobile Data Studio.
- Include GPS information in Mobile Data Studio's powerful Math functions.
- Send GPS data wirelessly from mobile device using Mobile Data Studio wireless functions.
- Process sessions containing GPS data to KML and KMZ files to display data and images in Google Earth.
|Android - Position Fixed||Apple iOS - Position Fixed|
- Following installation of Mobile Data Studio, the GPS point will be available in the 'Add New Point' window in Mobile Data Studio in Design view.
- The GPS point can be named appropriately to assist data tracking.
- Select GPS outputs Format from GPS Properties dialogue box below. The default string can be amended by the deletion and insertion of Tokens
- For use of GPS point data in Google Maps and Google Earth, the %lat% %long% decimal format should be used.
- The GPS output data can be presented in 'child' Edit points with particular ID Names reflecting the GPS outputs selected, eg if the main 'parent' point was called GPS, then Edit point ID Names might be GPS.lat, GPS.long, or Sample.lat, Sample.hdop etc. This is a convenient way to present data, clearer than in a long string.
Properties Options includes a default setting to 'Keep GPS device connection active while project is open', which is the fastest way to collect a series of data. Closing the project will close the GPS connection. When this option is unchecked, the connection will close after each GPS fix is saved. The 'Close GPS window as soon as fix is obtained' option is a rapid way to collect data, but may leave some users with less control than preferred. Android devices support Dilution of Position (DOP) functions; Apple iOS devices do not support DOP.
In Project Development: there is no need to be confined by the limited menus with standard GPS software. Develop flexible data capture using the full range of other points in Mobile Data Studio. Many applications can be developed for mining, agriculture, environment, transport, military, education and recreation. Example GPS projects can be found after installation of Mobile Data Studio at C:\Program Files\Mobile Data Studio\Examples: Drill Hole Log, Track Assets, Birds of North America, UTM.
Establishing a Fix
- When a project with a GPS point is loaded, the GPS hardware is prepared, but not yet turned on.
- When a GPS point is tapped (to record position), the hardware is powered up, and Fixing Position is shown. Depending on conditions, it may take a few minutes to locate sufficient satellites (say 5) for the initial fix.
- When a Position Fixed is achieved, the GPS point stays open and continues to receive data. Tap 'Save' to save the data within the GPS point data fields/boxes.
- Subsequent uses of the GPS point are instantaneous, because the GPS hardware is still on: this applies to other GPS points in the project, or when creating new sessions of the project.
- When the project is closed (back to Project screen where project icons are displayed), the GPS hardware is turned off. To close GPS connection while project is still open, tap 'GPS OFF' (Windows Mobile only).
- The screenshots below are from GPS point operation in Android, Apple iOS and Windows Mobile; no pop up is shown in Apple iOS.
GPS Hardware Setup
The GPS point outputs in accordance with NMEA standards. A 'Setup' prompt may present with some GPS hardware, see below. Follow the mobile device manufacturers specifications to configure settings for Port Name and Baud Rate. Search on the Internet will usually find the appropriate Port and Baud for a particular mobile device or Smartphone; for example, Setup may be Port Name COM1 and Baud Rate 4800.
Display on Google Maps
For use of GPS point data in Google Maps and Google Earth, the %lat% %long% decimal format should be used. Coordinates from the GPS point can be displayed on Google Maps by launch of Google Maps using a Link point with a URL http://maps.google.com/maps?q=loc:<%GPS%> launching Google Maps and conveying the coordinates. Download an example GPS Maps project which also provides opportunity for capture of the displayed map via a Camera point and mark up of map using a Sketch point. The images shown below of iPhone also demonstrate the 'Zoom to Sketch' function of the Sketch point in Apple iOS with images greater than 640 pixels wide.
Display Data on Google Earth
Session data along with Latitude and Longitude can be exported to KML file which can be opened in Google Earth. See Export to KML and KMZ (with image) files at page 13 Data Management. Example shown below based on a Bushfire Ready Map project.
The GPS point is versatile and has many applications in mineral exploration, environmental surveys, asset tracking, military, agriculture and other sectors.
Telegram point is a function to be able to accept jobs, track, conduct searches and do other tasks live from within a session. The Telegram point is supported by the Data Script functions of Mobile Data Studio (see page 14 Advanced: Automation and Data Script) which enable events to be handled by segments of VBScript. Using the Telegram point a project on the mobile device can send a small packet of information to the server at any time, independent of session management. Similarly, the Mobile Data Studio server can also send telegrams to mobile devices at any time, in response to any event, independent of session management.
The Telegram point is a departure from the normal approach in Mobile Data Studio which doesn't require programming to design and deploy projects, because it requires use of Data Script. However, the Telegram point adds powerful functionality for wireless deployments at the enterprise level.
In point Properties a TelegramName is required to be set, which identifies the telegram. This allows multiple, independent Telegram points in the same project without confusion. An option is provided to Show popup alert messages on the mobile device client.
In operation on the mobile device client, Tap to send actions the telegram. When a telegram is sent the Telegram point turns blue colour, and when receiving telegrams the point turns green.
Data Transfer properties enable selection of either or both Send from client to server and Send from server to client. A field is shown displaying points in the project which could participate in the telegram; click to select relevant points for the the telegram. The GUID is the unique identifier for the session. The option Only if field matches filters a telegram being received; when enabled, the Telegram point will make sure that the telegram contains a value for the check point that matches the value in the current session. If there is no match, the telegram is ignored.
- Complement data recording with voice recorded comments on Windows 10 tablet devices.
- Please NOTE the Voice point is not supported for Android and Apple iOS devices. However Android and Apple iOS devices can transcribe direct from keyboard microphone input to the Edit point.
- tap red button to record
- pause recording and continue with recording clip
- replay recording clip on Windows 10 and Windows Mobile device, and desktop PC
- wav file in nocompressed (PCM) and compressed (GSM) formats
- informative wav file naming format
- wav files available for use with transcription software
It is important to note that wav files may be large and use considerable data volume on mobile data accounts.
The Outlook Point enables the importing of Contacts information from Microsoft Outlook in Windows 10 and display of Contacts on Android and Apple smartphones and tablets. The design dialogue box shown below presents options for selection of contact information which can be imported. to a Mobile Data Studio project in the field. This facility assists with automatic entry of contact information in the field, avoiding time consuming manual entry. Depending on the fields chosen, appropriate captions and ID names are automatically generated for each field point, the captions can be manually changed to suit common terminology. The 'Body' field presents Notes from Outlook. The presentation output into Edit points can be adjusted for compact inline designs. Checking the Options box allows new contact information to be added simultaneously to a Mobile Data Studio project in the field.
Outlook contacts are accessible during a Local Session on a Tablet, desktop or notebook PC. Microsoft Outlook on a desktop PC can accept/import contact information from a wide range of programs (eg Access, ACT), this information is then synchronised with Outlook or Contacts on a mobile device.
Outlook Contacts Categories can be used on the mobile device, to conveniently filter large lists of Contacts. Tap the Category header to filter Contacts, and then re-open the Outlook point drop list to view the Contacts in the Category.
The Event Counter point was introduced to accurately count the breaths per minute of children who may be suffering from Pneumonia. Event Counter is available for use with Windows 10 and Windows Mobile client devices; not with Android or Apple iOS.
Useful in all situations where user needs to keep focus on subjects to be counted.
- Counting has never been easier.
- Tap anywhere on Event Counter with finger or stylus to count.
- Timed or un-timed counting.
- Automatic calculation of rates.
- Include counts in Math points.
- Audio cues to assist counting.
Replaces the paper on clipboard and stopwatch, and delivers results into sessions alongside other data, and then into Excel, Access and other databases for convenient analysis. Stopwatch is available for use with Windows 10 and Windows Mobile client devices; not with Android or Apple iOS. Displays and Outputs to one hundredth of a second.
Slider enables point values to be incremented or decremented by a simple sliding of the tab indicator. This function is useful where users may be recording subjective evaluations; for example in self assessment during a drug trial. Slider Properties (below) provides Orientation and Range options. A Default value can be set in Design mode by selection of the point, then right mouse click and 'Save Default Value'.
Slider is available for use with Windows 10 and Windows Mobile client devices; not with Android or Apple iOS.
|Previous Page||Jump to page:||Next Page|