- Q. What mobile devices do projects developed in Mobile Data Studio run on?
- A. (i) Apple iPhones, iPads and iPod Touch
devices; (ii) mobile devices with the Android operating system, including
Smartphones, Tablets and Netbooks; (iii) Windows 10 Tablets and (iv) Smartphones and Pocket PCs with Microsoft Windows Mobile
operating systems and 'touch screens'. See some of the many devices at
- Q. Can Android and Apple mobile client devices running Mobile Data
Studio use WiFi 'Hotspot' and USB Tethering to connect to the Mobile Data Studio server?
- A. Yes, this can be useful for connection via TCP/IP when there is
no mobile phone network or WiFi network available, especially in remote
- Q. How is Mobile Data for iOS downloaded from local country Apple App Store?
- A. The link to the Apple App Store in Australia is per URL address
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/mobile-data/id432455954?mt=8 . For your
country App Store replace the 'au' with country domain; for example 'fr' for
France, 'es' for Spain, 'cn' for China, 'us' for USA, 'de' for Germany.
- Q. Does Mobile Data Studio interface with Databases?
- A. Yes, using the latest ADO and XML media, and scripting, to interface with Access, SQL Server, Oracle, SAP,
MySQL and other databases. It can also do rapid outputs to Excel and HTML.
- Q. Can data collected in Mobile Data Studio be printed from the
Smartphone, Tablet or Pocket PC?
- A. Yes, Print point and 'Export HTML' functions in Mobile Data Studio
enables printing of forms, receipts, invoices, reports etc.
- Q. Do users developing projects/applications with Mobile Data Studio own the applications and can they sell them?
- A. Yes, projects/applications developed by the holder of a Mobile
Data Studio licence are their property. The projects/applications .ppc files can
be sold, but the main Mobile Data Studio software to run them cannot be sold
without permission from CreativityCorp and supply of the software by
CreativityCorp (software can also be supplied via
- Q. Why aren't projects 'stand alone' applications?
- A. Because they are part of a total Mobile Data Studio system which includes wireless client and server communication and powerful data management not found with 'stand alone' applications.
- Q. Can Mobile Data Studio be run as a 'Service'?
- A. Yes, see ServiceMill by Active+ Software.
- Q. What Android, Apple or Windows device should I buy?
- A. There are many excellent options. It is best to select a device
with a 4 inch or greater size screen for data entry.Check to ensure the screen displays well both indoors and outdoors in direct sunlight.
- Q. What about software upgrades, will the version of software I purchase become outdated?
- A. Upgrades to Mobile Data Studio made within 12 months of purchase of the software will be provided without a fee, a fee may be charged for upgrades beyond 12 months from the date of purchase. CreativityCorp will advise software license holders of upgrades.
- Q. Does Mobile Data Studio run Projects developed in Pocket PC Creations?
- A. Yes, Projects developed in the previous Pocket PC Creations run
in Mobile Data Studio onto Apple iOS, Android and Windows devices. See
Mobile Data Studio Skills
for specific information.
- Q. Can Smartphones and Tablets be made 'rugged' for industrial use?
- A. Yes, see the rugged and effective
OtterBox range. In some instances an
Aquapac is sufficient protection.
- Q. Can CreativityCorp assist with the marketing of projects/applications built with Mobile Data Studio by developers.
- A. Yes, please see our
Partners page, and contact CreativityCorp to discuss.
- Q. How many Mobile Data Studio projects/applications can I load and run on an
Apple, Android or Windows device?
- A. Many, depending on available memory, 20 projects could easily be run on a mobile device. The project file size is generally less than 30KB.
- Q. After I process data from the mobile device onto the desktop PC, can I take them back into the field?
- A. Mobile Data for Android, Apple iOS and Windows Tablets have session folders
which retain copies of sent and deleted sessions. In Windows Mobile a unique copy of session data can be retained on the mobile
device by use of the session 'Duplicate' control. Session data can be returned
to the mobile device via XML Incoming, and the 'Send' command from the Data Window.
- Q. Can I password protect information in a project in Mobile Data Studio?
- A. Yes, use the conditional Logic point to display data points only upon entry of a password, and Lock the project so that others can't view the password in design mode.
- Q. What are the three different Mobile Data Studio file extensions?
- A. Mobile Data Studio file extensions in Mobile Data Studio
version 8 are: .ppc - Mobile Data Studio project
file, associated with the program and has its own icon. When opened, it loads
Mobile Data Studio automatically. Present on Windows desktop PC or server and
mobile device; .ppd - Session database data store, stores actual session data. .ppr - Data/results management options, such as Data Pathway
settings for HTML/XML/Excel/ADO output, XML input, Data Scripting. Present
on Windows PC or server only. If this is removed, Data Pathway settings are
restored to defaults. They are separate to the project as they may vary from
computer to computer (eg different folders or ADO settings).